Friday 18 November 2011

Empty threats part 2: The Meltdown.

Following a decision to start following through on our threats/topics for negotiation in order to try and raise a well disciplined, polite, friendly child this week has been a struggle...in fact, it's been a total nightmare. I've arrived at nursery to collect LV every evening this week with high hopes that magically her tantrums and lack of listening would have improved, but unforuntately this was not the case and on Wednesday night we experienced what can only be described as a meltdown. On Wednesday night I arrived to collect LV, as I reached the top of the stairs leading to her class, she was there to greet me with words no tired mother wants to hear:
LV 'I'm in trouble, I've been told off, I've not been very kind'
Me 'Oh dear, what's happened?'
LV 'scissors, Charlotte'
Naturally my first thought is 'Oh my Christ she's stabbed Charlotte'...thankfully I was wrong.
LV 'I chopped her hair'
Me 'Oh my goodness LV you should never chop peoples hair!'
LV 'Even at hairdressers mummy'
Me 'ummmm well, hairdressers can, but not children, I'm really sad about this LV'
LV 'ok'
Me 'Well, I think we'll have to get home and talk to daddy about this'
LV 'yep'
It transpired that LV and her friend Charlotte had attempted to cut each others hair, luckily the scissors were too blunt to cut their hair. phew. So we arrive home.
LV 'I'll have some beans and toast please'
Me 'you can have a piece of toast but no beans tonight LV, I need to see some nice behaviour from you before you get to enjoy nice food' (Like beans are a major treat! LV has a snack after nursery, she has her dinner there, I'm not withholding food when she's genuinely hungry...I'm not evil)
LV 'I want beans'
Me 'I said no'
Queue the most dramatic meltown we've ever seen...kicking, screaming, flailing, wailing, shouting, crying, hitting....we were stunned into silence. This was a new experience. She threw her piece of toast across the room...I collected it up and put it into the bin (cringing in anticipation of her reaction)..she didn't disappoint. More flailing, wailing and writhing around on the floor. This lasted half an hour and then she gave up, she apologised and asked to go to bed. We followed shortly after exhausted by the meltdown, but I think we made some progress. She has behaved a lot better the last few days and has been on her best behaviour...hmmmm surely one meltdown can't be it?! I'll keep you posted.

Queen of the meltdown : Master of disguise.

xo.

No comments:

Post a Comment