Monday 2 January 2012

Patience of a saint.

As the festivities dwindle and Christmas becomes a distant memory I thought it time to get posting again! Hurrah. We had a lovely Christmas with family and a fabulous New Year with friends (who are still here, horay, even though they're still fast asleep - LV and I have been up for 2.5 hours already! Just saying). So it seems appropriate to put my mind to New Years resolutions...I usually make some and keep none, but this year's different, this year is the year I develop the patience of a saint. No-one has ever accused me of being patient, it's never been a character trait I put too much thought into, that was until 2011 when I was tested to my limit by the bold LV. Motherhood requires patience and I've managed to coast along so far with only a few minor incidents where a dollop of patience would have diffused a potentially disastrous altercation, including 'the boots incident', so that's my main objective for 2012, be more patient, but in order to make this commitment I had to reach breaking point, and that's exactly what I did, approximately 4 days ago. 'The Boots incident' As LV and I navigated the aisles of our local Boots store I was oblivious to the meltdown that was brewing in LV, as far as I was concerned we were having some lovely mother and daughter bonding time, there was the intention to go to Cafe Nero ( this we had discussed). I showered her with praise for walking the 15 minutes into town without asking to be carried, we were onto a winner, or so I thought. She even picked out a new toothbrush...life was good, and then it happened. As we stood at the till point she started writhing around on the floor (no reason), I kept my cool (even though the panic was rising), I suggested she get up, my suggestion was brutally rebuffed. I helped her back onto her feet whilst trying to enter my PIN, and then she bolted! Like a whippet she was gone, shrieking with excitement she darted from the vice like grip of my knees, arms flailing as she rounded the corner and out of my sight. Now I'd like to say I saw the funny side of this, but unfortunately I cannot. I freaked out and I began to chase, I abandoned my card, my goods, my dignity as I rounded the corner and promptly fell over...yes that's right, I fell over. I can't remember the last time I fell over, oh the shame, and the pain as I considered the possibility that I had broken my leg . LV witnessed the fall and she knew the game was over, she sheepishly moved towards me as I tried to tell her off without crying. I was furious, livid, she knew....I limped back to the till with LVs hand in mine as she attempted to release it, but she will learn that a furious mothers grip is relentless, there's no escaping it, we've all experienced it, I refer to it simply as 'mum grip'. Needless to say there was no Nero, there were tears, there was an awkward walk home and there's a new years resolution...be more patient. LV misbehaved, but I was mainly furious because I was in pain...if I hadn't have chased with such panic maybe she would have just come back, I mean there's no point in running if you're not being chased...then it's just exercise! So, this year I will be more patient and I will avoid falling over at all costs. Xo.

1 comment: