Monday 5 September 2011

Mistaken identity.

Today was a bit manic, but a lot was achieved. I started at home, working efficiently, I then ventured into work to 'touch base' before my train down to London for an afternoon meeting regarding a project I'm mega excited about, I worked on the train...I was feeling effective. I felt like a proactive person, I felt a bit excited. I arrived in London, I sent some more emails, ticked some more stuff off my list and then it was time for the meeting.

I was expecting to meet the account team from an agency I had been talking to for weeks (but I had zero visuals on this team). The introductions commenced...last but not least a lady introduced herself, lets call her Sarah. I had been talking to Sarah for months, we got on swimmingly, I was excited to finally meet her. I launched into my 'so great to meet you, fab to put a face to a name, looking forward to our meeting Wednesday, is there anything she needed from me in preparation, did she have the relaxing weekend planned' etc, she didn't seem quite as excited about this meeting as I did, she gave me very little back and looked a bit awkward. I surmised that she was actually shy and better on email/phone than in person. Take note, this conversation (mostly one-way, by me) was conducted in-front of another 6 meeting members. The meeting lead began the meeting with an overview of roles and responsibilities, how strange that she would introduce 'Sarah' as the new girl who joined last week. How odd, how confusing and then it dawned on me...this was not the Sarah I thought it was......oh dear. She must think I'm a total mentalist, what's most baffling is why no-one intervened...maybe it was too funny...and in retrospect I'm quite amused by this, at the time I was not.

I'm looking forward to meeting the real 'Sarah' on Wednesday, but I'm going to trial being more reserved...just in case.
xo.
ps - I was excited this morning to discover my nails matched the wall. On reflection, I do look a bit crazed in this photo, maybe this contributed towards pretend 'Sarah's' fear of me.

1 comment: