Thursday 21 April 2011

Cake baking disaster...

I bought the Hummingbird Bakery book from The Book People this week and have been super excited about giving one particular recipe a go: the Chocolate Guinness Cake, mainly because we've had four cans of Guinness in the fridge for the last six months following a phase Rob went through. I'm a hoarder, there's also a jar of pickled onions that has set up camp in our fridge. So, back to the baking. It started really well, it was relatively easy, I was feeling pretty confident, it smelt amazing and I started to feel a bit like how I imagine Nigella feels when she's shimmying around her fairy light lit kitchen.







At this point I was feeling pretty smug, it looks fabulous, not bad for a first Chocolate Guinness cake baking attempt....unfortunately from there it was a slippery slope. The problem was my lack of patience, I whipped the tin surround off and gazed adoringly at my creation....and then when I couldn't wait any longer I tried to remove the bottom of the tin by flipping the cake onto a plate, this is when half the top of my cake fell off! I tried to stick it back on and then the side collapsed! Not ideal, but I'm going to plough on (tomorrow, because I can't stay up all night watching it cool) and I'm going to frost it and then I'm going to eat it and despite it looking a bit of a mess underneath once it's frosted I'm sure it'll look great. Will post a picture of the finished product tomorrow.

Baking Hint 1: Patience is a virtue.

xo.

1 comment:

  1. Just a small glitch in the process of becoming a fully fledged domestic goddess, don't be disheartened. Bet it tastes lovely! x

    ReplyDelete