Saturday 11 February 2012

TV nostalgia.

One of the lovely things about having a mischievous toddler is that it gives you permission to relive your own childhood. I have watched a serious amount of kids TV in the last 3 years, at the moment we're (LV is) mad keen on peppa pig, Ben & Hollys Magic Kingdom, Tinkerbell and inappropriately Home & Away. Thankfully she has pretty good taste and I quite like these programmes (particularly Home & Away), well, as much as someone of 29 years old can enjoy watching snorting pigs. As we sit here on this Saturday morning watching Scooby doo together I started to think about all the programmes I used to enjoy when I was little.....and I feel far less guilty about LV watching Home & Away....

I used to watch:

Birds of a Feather - Set in Essex, the story of two women whose husbands are in prison for armed robbery.
The Upper Hand - A male housekeeper moves in with a single mother, after 6 series of fuelled innuendo they marry.
The Brittas Empire - The running of a leisure centre by an incompetent manager, the receptionist keeps her baby in a desk draw.
Family Ties - I can't remember what this was about but I watched it religiously, aspiring to be like the materialistic Mallory.

So above are the more adult orientated programmes, then there were the early teen programmes:
Sister Sister
Boy meets world
Sweet valley high
Saved by the bell
Hang time (wasn't great)
California dreams
Brandy
Heartbreak High (Drazic!)
The Wonder Years
I was quite clearly addicted to American high school relationship based dramas.

Then there were the actual children's programmes:
The Jetsons (my total fave)
Green Claws
Why don't you? (This was a treat to watch when we were over in the UK)
Bertha

Adverts (We didn't get these in Germany and I used to find them massively exciting!)

As you can see LV comes from great TV viewing stock, I have high hopes for her...and I watched a mass of totally inappropriate TV programmes and I turned out ok, I think. I can't wait for LV to look back and list all the random programmes I used to let her watch. Most importantly though is where you watch the programmes you shouldn't really be watching..I remember my sisters and I watching Birds of a Feather in my mum and dads bed...mega cool. 

xo.


No comments:

Post a Comment